12 / 05 / 2019
On 30 April 2019, the European Commission published some policy recommendations, ahead of the meeting of EU27 leaders in Sibiu, Romania, on 9 May 2019, for how Europe can shape its future in an increasingly multipolar and uncertain world.
According to the EC, the EU should focus on 5 dimensions:
1. Protective Europe: building a European Security Union and European Defence Union to manage migration;
2. Competitive Europe: upgrading, modernising and fully implementing the single market in all its aspects;
3. Fair Europe: delivering on the European Pillar of Social Rights;
4. Sustainable Europe: modernising the economy to embrace sustainable consumption and production patterns;
5. Influential Europe: leading in the world through consistent and strong support for a multilateral, rules-based global order, with the United Nations at its core.