28 / 04 / 2021
EARTO & Vanguard Initiative Complementary Insights on the Interregional Innovation Investments (I3)
EARTO and Vanguard Initiative are happy to share their complementary insights on the Interregional Innovation Investments (I3).
This instrument is very valuable with the potential to unleash the innovation potential available in European regions, supporting the EU recovery through a coordinated approach for investments, while in parallel, shortening and strengthening supply chains and building the complete value chains.
On the basis of the last public updates about the design of the I3 tool, EARTO and Vanguard Initiative would like to share some suggestions and concerns as follows:
- A stronger focus should be placed on technology infrastructures, their accessibility and their networking to allow SMEs to perform demonstration and piloting activities to boost SMEs’ innovation capabilities.
- Such technology infrastructures will indeed be key enablers to develop and mature technology and accelerate large and small industry’s uptake.
- The cascade funding, main funding methodology proposed by the EC, should be lump-sum based to lower the administrative burden and risks for the beneficiaries.
- Clarifications on potential State aid issues regarding the full State aid clearance of the I3 support and the mixed funding and co-funding at the regional level should be given.
- A proper timeline for the implementation of the I3 tool as well as preparation time to submit quality proposals should be given.
Read the full Paper